Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Training

I haven't even been here a week and already it feels like longer, which is neither good nor bad, it just is. Peace Corps doesn't fool around with the words 'intensive language studies.' uf! *Guaraní is actually a pretty easy language to learn; what makes it hard is putting togeather a lot of unfamiliar sounds to make something that has meaning. Today we learned how to conjugate verbs, which again, in theory isn't really that hard, but man, I had forgotten how hard it is to learn the basics of a new language.

Its been cold and wet here, in the low 50´s during the day, much like a western Oregonian winter. The funny thing is, the day before, it was right up near 100 degrees. Oh, Paraguay. You make me glad that I have my down comforter.

Anywho, I get to go to a birthday party tonight, and I have no clue if i'll have a chance to study tonight. Oh well, they say community integration is as important as our studies, so I can justify it. Yeah, thats right.

¡Adio!

*Guaraní is the native language that survived European invasion. It is the second official langauge of Paraguay and is the primary langauge of most rural inhabitants. I have just been informed by my host sister that Guaraní has recently been made the second official language of South America to be used in commerce and govermental stuff. Nice.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya on the learning basics of a language stuff, uuf! Hope with all that intensive study that it clicks pretty quickly.

    Is the birthday party for a local? I'd like to hear about how they celebrate!

    ReplyDelete