Well, I made it! After a long, sleep-deprived trip, we arrived in Paraguay and imediately jumped into training. We had information sessions and interviews for host family assignments and then off we went! My host mom is the sweetest lady ever, and my host sister goes to university in Asunción, but is home on the weekends. She's awesome by the way, and today I hung out with her and a friend, drank tereré, and practiced my Guaraní. Yay!
Yesterday had an action-packed day which included a discussion about our first night with our host families, another general information session, medical interviews featuring two vaccinations for me, basic greetings in Guaraní, language assesement, and the most fun of it all: a bee sting to be sure we don't have an allergie. Mine is still really big and red and after that, I barely felt the shot for my vaccinations.
Today,we had our first language classes in Guaraní and some more cultural training. It was awesomely intersting, and today I actually got to sleep a little siesta, which indeed, rocked my socks off.
What it's like here: The roads are of dirt and sand, and I enjoy looking at all the footprints in the red soil. It gives the area a very human feel.
Contrairy to popular belief, roosters will crow at any hour in the morning, and trust me, there are a lot of them. Cows too.
The people here are super-friendly, and everybody greets everybody else when they are out and about.
I promise photos later. I hope you find this country as charming as I do.
Saturday, September 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
:) I remember from Tonga that roosters crow at all time of the day, not just at the crack of dawn. What is Guarani? Is that the local dialect?
ReplyDeleteHey Seestor, glad your on the ground and running already! Good to hear that your host family is cool and that your training is off to a great start. Also, I third the rooster thing - it's not so noticeable now that we're sleeping with the windows shut, but our neighbor's rooster never knows WHAT time of day it is, and he always manages to set off a chain reaction of other roosters on the street crowing at ungodly hours (or even godly ones, but still). Funny that a bird with such a little head and throat can make such a racket. Anyway, Miss you bunches, take a nap in the middle of the day for me!
ReplyDelete