Friday, September 18, 2009

I'm heading South with the Sun

Well holy crap from a hat, it's finally here. It of course being the weekend before the day I leave for Miami for a night for Peace Corps for. Yeah. From here on oot, bloggage featured here will be juicier than ever sauteed with only the finest tidbits of cultural observations and seasoned with the most tasteless of personal complaints.

The three summer months went quickly in some parts and practically stopped in others. I laughed, I cried, I coughed. I'm glad to be getting out of Des Moines again. It was great to see my family and friends, but three months really isn't enough time to form lasting new relationships, and I'm looking forward to entering a situation where I can. I'm excited to meet my fellow trainees.

I've noticed that the days are getting shorter and the sun closer to the southern horizon, and I'm grateful that I won't have to spend winter away from my love in the sky for a few years. *See blog post title. I'm pleased that I got to see a little Fall color before leaving.

I'm looking forward to feeling nostalgic about the food. When I went to northern Argentina after high school, I encountered a lot of Paraguayan influences, especially in the food. I'm looking forward to Sopa Paraguaya and Guiso and mandioca. Oh! and how could I forget Chipa Paraguaya: nummiest snack EVER! I'm going to be a happy camper drinking mate every day.

Siesta's going to frickin' rock my socks off. (Again)

For the past two days I've been packing and flu-ing. The only logical conclusion is that these two occurrences are connected in some way. Regardless, I'm glad that both are happening before I leave. I may be ill, but at least I'm eating Ramen and speaking English.

No comments:

Post a Comment